Thursday, January 10, 2008

Fall - ish Films


I've been more pathetic than diligent about movie-going this past year. No doubt I've missed brilliance so I hope to catch it on a future Sunday afternoon (whenever network TV exhausts its supply of Steel Magnolias prints). Here are a few notable* films from the latter half of 2007 that I did manage to see:

Lars and the Real Girl - dir. Craig Gillespie. (See above post. A lone sentence won't do).
My Kid Could Paint That - dir. Amir Bar-Lev. In which the fallibility of the documentarian's relationship to documentary films is exposed and a seemingly unprovable suspicion raises more questions. Enthralling stuff.
Margot at the Wedding - dir. Noah Baumbach. In which Nicole Kidman reminds us that you don't have to make a character likeable to demonstrate fine acting skills.
Empties - dir. Jan Sverak. In which the ordinary, smallness of a man's post-midlife crisis is charming rather than silly. Thanks Kolya team.
2 Days in Paris - dir. Julie Delpy. In which a romantic relationship is peeped at in a warts and all way and Delpy's parents create circus-like comic relief simply by eating a sit-down meal.

*Notable to me at least.

No comments: