Thursday, October 23, 2008

One For the Books

Literary journals can be shapeshifters: The Thing appears as a different object every time it's produced. On the subject of objects, Reading Copy points to a demonstration that books make excellent sculptures. Norman Foster's going to tinker with the main NYC Public Library building. I'm a little worried. Nothing against Foster but why mess with a good thing, you know? At least the exterior will remain the same. For minutes of fun, try to guess how good a book is by its cover. Thanks to the Book Bench for finding this little time-sucker. In other news, I am still reading, though it may not seem so. I recently finished (and enjoyed) Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield. A book that provides a taxonomy of mix types (radio, dishes, I want to get with you, etc.) and precisely captures my early 90s with the selection of Morrissey's We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful is a friend of mine. Sheffield on NPR here.

No comments: