Monday, February 25, 2008

The Glitz Breakdown

I shouldn't have even watched this year's Academy Awards because I saw so few of the nominated films/performances. It's not fun when you can't root for favourites, although Falling Slowly's win for Best Original Song did provide a cheerleading highlight. Since I'm unable to offer valuable critical commentary, I thought I'd mention a few older films involving some of last night's winners, instead.

If you've never seen the Coen brothers' kooky Raising Arizona, starring Nicolas Cage and Holly Hunter, you should. It was quirky before 'quirky' became the gold standard for comedy credibility. I tend to prefer lighther Coen films (The Big Lebowski was made for repeat viewings) and may be biased. I'd like to think not, though. I'd like to think that Raising Arizona is just damn funny. I'll also recommend Marion Cotillard in Jeux d'enfants (or Love Me If You Dare). It's an Amelie-esque story (colourful, stylized, quirky - the new quirky). Finally, I've always thought The Beach was underrated. The book by Alex Garland is even better. I couldn't put it down. Tilda Swinton plays the one who pulls the strings on Leonaro DiCaprio and friends' island paradise. She's a powerhouse of nutjobbery.

Aside: In the event that you indulge in periodic rounds of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, take note that French actor Guillaume Canet appears in Jeux d'enfants and The Beach. I'm not figuring out how he connects to KB. That's your job.

No comments: