Friday, January 25, 2008

Literary Hodgepodge for $800, Alex

Can't wait for Ibi Kaslik's The Angel Riots due out in March. As described here, it's filled with thinly-veiled references to much-adored Canadian indie rockers. Too much fun.

Other additions to the enormous reading list: The Deportees, the first collection of stories from Roddy Doyle whose Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha is spectacular; The Jew of Home Depot and Other Stories by Max Apple, a collection of stories described as memorable (literally, you will be able to remember them years later) because I can surely stand to put something I read to memory, and Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life, a memoir from Steve Martin. Shopgirl, The Pleasure of My Company and everything he's ever written in The New Yorker are arguably as good as any funny bit he's done on screen.

A little insight into the origin of my Canada Reads pick, Not Wanted on the Voyage.

Somebody please read Fame Junkies: The Hidden Truths Behind America's Favourite Addiction (Jake Halpern) and explain to me why educated, normal people care about Hollywood's crotch, DUI and babymaking antics. Even if anecdotal not scientific evidence is used, I need to know. Because I am an educated, normal person.

No comments: