Sunday, January 13, 2008

Josh Rouse = Joyce Carol Oates

Anyone who is prolific in their field can be compared to writer Joyce Carol Oates and in this respect, Josh Rouse is the JCO of the singer/songwriter world. You can barely keep up with his catalogue. Worse still, all of it is good, i.e. no 'taking a pass on this one', everything must be investigated. Country Mouse City House now exists. Has existed for half a year it seems! It's too new to me to be able to say much about it but what I've heard so far sounds reliably enticing.

If you enjoy a smooth voice, soft sound, and heartstring-plucking lyrics, Josh Rouse is your go-to guy. I first heard him opening for Sarah Harmer (whose hands playing guitar I could watch for days) in 2000, in one of the best intimate venues around. You could follow my path into his discography but you'd be safe starting nearly anywhere. For the record, said path was - Home (the discovery), Under Cold Blue Stars (the reinforcement of appreciation for), 1972 (the solidification of worshipful listening - I adore this album). The discs kept coming and I kept getting sucked in.

Samples:

Home - Directions
Under Cold Blue Stars - Christmas with Jesus
1972 - Love Vibration

No comments: